Maintaining a healthy weight is crucial to living a life of optimal health and wellness. Dealing with excess weight can lead to serious health conditions and become a burden on vital organs and joints in the body. While many turn to a variety of medications and surgeries to manage their weight, the reality is that there is no safe medicine or surgical method to effectively lose weight. In order to avoid many of the diseases and conditions that result from being overweight, including high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, impotency and infertility, it’s important to approach weight loss and weight management with holistic, lasting methods.
If you’re committed to living a more balanced and fulfilling life, then maintaining a healthy lifestyle that nourishes and invigorates your body is fundamental. Guests can expect to receive natural therapies and nutritional guidance that will help them safely reduce their weight gradually and maintain it long after their stay.
Upon arrival, you will meet with a Wellness Counselor who will conduct a pulse assessment to determine your mind/body type. The Wellness Counselor will use this analysis along with your health goals to create a customized weight management plan for you to follow during your stay.
The BMI is one way to tell whether a person is at a normal weight or overweight. BMI measures a person’s weight in relation to their height and provides a score that helps place a person in the following category:
- Normal weight: BMI of 18.5 to 24.9
- Overweight: BMI of 25 to 29.9
- Excessive weight: BMI of 30 or higher
Ayurveda offers natural treatment to combat excess weight. Ayurvedic remedies give the best results when used along with a healthy diet and exercise.
An overweight person has excess ama in their body. Ama are the toxins that build up in the body due to an unhealthy lifestyle, pollution, and incomplete or inefficient digestion. Ama blocks the circulatory, lymphatic and other channels of body. Ayurvedic therapies for weight management primarily aim at getting rid of ama.
Experts suggest that it is extremely difficult or perhaps impossible to lose weight in presence of ama. It is because of this reason that many fail to lose weight even when they limit their diet. Therefore, it is important to get rid of ama first and then work on losing weight.
We have many Ayurvedic therapies at YO1 that help mitigate the problem:
Udhwarthanam (Herbal Powder Massage)
- It prevents loosening of the skin while undergoing the weight management program.
- It is highly beneficial for fat reduction & cellulite break down.
- It increases the burning of the accumulated fat.
Dry Podikizhi (Herbal Powder Poultice Massage)
- It destroys Ama, the metabolic waste created by low metabolism & indigestion.
- It eliminates the body toxins, establishes health & tones up the soft tissues.
- It soothes the nerves & improves blood circulation.
Valuka Sweda (Herbal Sand Bag Fomentation)
- It helps to liquify & clear the stagnant, morbid matter due to excessive fat accumulation.
- It removes the blocks created by fat & corrects fat metabolism.
- It eliminates body toxins & removes water retention.
Naturopathy encourages raw food therapy and gentle hydrotherapies like steam saunas, swimming, and colon hydrotherapy to help guests safely and naturally lose excess weight during their stay at YO1. Along with hydrotherapies, certain massages such as Deep Tissue Massage, Vibro Massage and Hot Stone Massage are also advised by the Naturopathy counselors.
Our Naturopathy experts offer the following therapies to help with weight management:
- Everything one eats, and drinks matters. It is essential to focus on variety, amount and nutrition.
- At YO1 we serve healthy diet as a part of the weight management program which includes varieties of juices, smoothies, soups, healthy main course and salads.
- Daily exercise helps tone the body, make it supple and flexible.
- The ideal way of exercising is yoga. At YO1, our well-trained yoga instructors make your yoga experience, authentic, easy and fun.
- Apart from yoga, YO1 offers many other activities such as fitness center, swimming, cycling and nature walks.
- A minimum of 7-8 hours of sleep is needed to repair and rejuvenate the body.
YO1’s Yoga instructors guide guests with the following postures under the Weight Management Program:
Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
- In this posture, the back bending helps the lower spine to bend, which reduces belly fat & helps in weight reduction.
Shalabhasana (Locust Pose)
- This pose helps remove sciatica and weight related problems. The fat around the thighs and buttocks can be reduced by raising one or both legs above.
Chakrasana (Wheel Pose)
- Chakrasana brings the whole body in a circular pose, through which we can easily reduce the excessive fat in the body and controls weight problems.
Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
- This pose puts pressure on the belly and reduces fat around the abdomen and shoulder muscles.
- This practice helps reduce excessive mucus in the stomach which causes the fat accumulation in the body.
- Drinking saline water and vomiting in the morning helps clean the stomach and increase the appetite.
- This practice creates heat in the body and increases metabolism. It strengthens the abdominal muscles thereby reducing fat around it.
- KapalBhaati is considered as both pranayama and cleansing procedure since it cleans and activate all the internal organs.
Ustrasana (Camel Pose)
- Ustrasana tones the abdomen and stimulates the muscles around the thighs and back and reduces weight.