What is Merudanda Pichu?
The spinal cord is referred to as Merudanda in Sanskrit. It is considered the individual’s axis to the universe. In the literal sense, Meru means peak or mountain and Danda means stick or staff.
The basic principle of Merudanda Pichu (spine therapy) is that the state of health largely depends on the condition of the spine. This therapy treats ailments by adjustments and manipulations of the body parts, particularly the spine.
Merudanda Pichu is based on the theory that diseases are traceable to nervous malfunctions usually caused by misalignment of the vertebral column. This leads to the crowding of nerves that branch out from the spinal cord which in turn reduces the ability to supply organs and tissues with the correct amount of energy needed to function properly. This improper supply of energy can lead to malfunction or disease.
This therapy is unique because it does not act on the ailment or disease as a quick fix solution but instead, enables the patient to heal in a natural way.
This natural healing therapy works on the spine, nerves, muscles, joints, and blood and lymphatic channels. Merudanda therapy helps in restoring and balancing the three life forces of the body – Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. This aids in restoring the physiological balance which improves the performance of the body, mind, and soul.
Benefits of Merudanda Chikitsa
- Relieves muscle and ligament tension and mental/nervous disorders.
- Promotes blood circulation and enhances the body’s life force energy to aid healing.
- Evokes calmness and vitality in the body and mind while relieving fatigue and stress.
- Reduces stress levels and decreases emotions of fear, paranoia, autism, epilepsy, hyperactivity, and sinusitis.
- Alleviates sprains, strains, vertebral disc prolapse, cervical/lumbar spondylosis, and sciatica.
- Enhances lymphatic circulation, stimulates the autoimmune system, and eliminates toxins and salts from spinal bones.
- Alleviates nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, cardiac problems, asthma, and migraines/headaches.
- Reduces the effects of tremors, Parkinson’s disease, chorea, and physical growth retardation.
As with all Ayurvedic treatments and therapies, Merudanda Chikitsa should be performed by an experienced Ayurvedic practitioner. During the healing phase, the patient may experience a healing reaction. This may manifest temporarily with fever, vomiting, or an increase of symptoms.